Transfer Credit

Course work and grades from two-year and four-year institutions are allowed in earning a UC degree. There are some restrictions, discussed below.

A maximum of 60 semester hours of degree credit from two-year colleges is accepted in transfer toward meeting the minimum 120 semester hours required for graduation. If a student earns more than 60 semester hours of degree credit from a two-year college(s), the credit and grades are used in computing grade point averages and course work may be used to satisfy requirements, but the credit hours beyond the first 60 do not count toward the total hours needed for graduation.

There is no limit on the number of credit hours that may be transferred from four-year institutions. However, a student must satisfy the University hours of residence requirement regardless of the amount of transfer work that is accepted.

Once admitted, students should check with the Office of Admissions to see if courses taken elsewhere at either two-year or four-year institutions will transfer into the UI for General Education/Core, program area, or elective credit before they enroll in the courses. If approval is not secured before taking courses at another institution, the transfer credit may not be accepted. Unofficial information is available from the MyUI transfer search page.

Students must report all work done at other institutions, whether before first admission to Iowa or after first admission. Failure to have an official transcript sent from other institutions to the Office of Admissions may result in disciplinary action and in the loss of registration privileges (see additional information from the Office of Admissions).

University College honors the following University of Iowa articulation agreements:

  • Associate of Arts (AA) Articulation Agreement with all Iowa community colleges, Waldorf College in Iowa, or Black Hawk College in Illinois
  • Iowa Regents Articulation Agreement with students who have satisfied general education requirements at the University of Northern Iowa or the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Iowa State University

These students transfer to University College having fulfilled portions of the general education/core requirements as follows:

  • Bachelor of Applied Studies (BAS): all Core requirements except Business/Management;
  • Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS): all Common Core requirements except Leadership and Career Development.

All other students, including those who have an associate degree other than an AA, or received an AA from a college that does not have an articulation agreement with the University, will have their credits evaluated course-by-course to determine how they will transfer.

Courses completed at colleges and universities accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, or similar regional associations, are acceptable for transfer to the University of Iowa. If your course work was completed at a school not regionally accredited, the recommendations by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers or the American Council on Education will be used.

The Office of Admissions evaluates military transcripts according to the guidelines in the American Council on Education’s Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services when that recommendation is for vocational certificate and lower and/or upper division baccalaureate degrees.

See Office of Admissions Credit for Military Service (

Bachelor of Liberal Studies accepts a maximum of 16 semester hours of career-technical credit as elective credit toward the degree.  Career-technical credit comes in as ungraded credit and does not count toward the 24 transferable hours needed for admission.

Bachelor of Applied Studies does not limit career-technical credit, but it is subject to the 60 semester hour limit for two-year institution credit.  Career-technical credit comes in as graded credit and counts toward the 60 transferable hours needed for admission.